Health Services

img Health Services Xavier Karen PVD 170x150Student Health Insurance Plan (SHIP)
All registered, undergraduate day students, both domestic and international, all students enrolled in the physician assistant degree program, and all international graduate/doctoral students attending JWU are required to have health insurance coverage that is accepted in the United States (and the state in which the student attends class).

All students who are required to have health insurance are initially enrolled in and charged for SHIP.

If you have health insurance coverage through another means (ie, a parent’s health insurance or an employer program), you can opt out of SHIP by completing University Health Plan’s online waiver to demonstrate proof of coverage.

Important note: Before waiving SHIP, be sure that your current health insurance plan is accepted in the state in which you attend class and fully covers all your medical needs.

You must submit a new waiver form each academic year. Students who are required to have health insurance and do not waive the JWU plan will be charged for it.

SHIP is serviced by University Health Plans and underwritten by United Healthcare. University Health Plans’ website contains a full summary of benefits, waiver deadlines and contact information. Get answers to commonly-asked questions about SHIP or view a coverage summary.

You have a right to confidential health care. At JWU Health Services, all medical information is confidential and will not be released without written consent, unless otherwise required by law.

After Hours Care
If you need care and Health Services is not open, call your RA or Safety & Security at 401-598-1103 for a referral and/or transportation to the nearest walk-in clinic. Check the hours and locations before going off campus. Health Services is open until 10pm, Monday-Thursday.

Medical Emergencies
In the event of a medical emergency dial 9-911 first for emergency assistance; then contact Campus Safety & Security at 401-598-1103.

Sexual Assault Prevention and Support Services are also available.

Non-medical Emergencies
In the event of a non-medical emergency requiring you to go to an off-campus medical facility for treatment, please contact us for a referral.

See a list of online resources that address general health information and area services.

Allergy Care
Call Health Services if you need the specialized care of an allergist and they will refer you to an allergist in the area.

Health Forms and Requirements
Johnson & Wales University has health-related prerequisites for registration. See a list of health forms & requirements.