International Students

International students currently attending JWU can participate in a study abroad program to a third country — a country outside the U.S. that is not your home country.

To prepare for leaving the U.S. you must talk with International Student Services regarding re-entry regulations to get back into the U.S. after the program finishes. Secondly, to prepare for entering other countries, you must research entry-visa requirements for each of the countries visited during the program:

  • Contact the Study Abroad office to confirm the itinerary: What countries are we going to during the program?
  • Ask yourself: Am I traveling before or after the program to any additional countries?
  • For each country you will be visiting, locate the embassy or consulate nearest you. Use the U.S. Department of State’s list of known foreign embassies in the U.S. listed on our Resources page or do a web search.
  • Contact the embassy or consulate and provide your citizenship, the dates of the program, if the program is led by JWU faculty or not, and if you will be registered an educational institution in their host country.

Ask the embassy or consular official:

  • If I am living in (your city), do you serve people in this area?
  • I am a citizen of ___ country participating in a study abroad program to your country.
  • What documentation do I need to apply for a visa?

The Study Abroad office will provide you with the following documentation if you need it:

  • proof that your study abroad program is credit-bearing and is part of your degree,
  • proof of insurance,
  • proof that all program-related expenses are paid for, and
  • program itinerary.

You might need to provide a copy of your flight itinerary, as well. We can also provide other special letters if requested.

Once you learn what you need, please let us know. Do not wait to start this process, as it can take substantial time.