Student Employment and Work-Study FAQ

Federal Work-Study (FWS) Questions

How do I receive Federal Work-Study (FWS)? FWS is a financial aid award given to eligible students. Students must complete the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA) for the appropriate academic year. Visit Student Financial Services for more information on eligibility requirements.

How do I receive my work-study job? Your campus' student employment representative administers FWS placements. Please visit your campus for more specific information regarding how you receive your job.

What will I be doing as a FWS participant? Departments through out the University employ work-study students in various types of positions. Typically these positions include, general office work, data entry, dining hall services, student and recreational activities. Your supervisor can provide you with specific information on your job responsibilities.

May I change my work-study job within a given academic year? No. As a general rule, students are not allowed to transfer their assignments. The FWS Program is designed to allow students to work around their academic schedule; therefore it is sometimes necessary for the student to accept a position that may not be his/her first job choice. There are some extenuating circumstances that would warrant a job transfer. But any such change must be authorized by the designated campus student employment representative. Please note, that students do have the ability to change jobs in subsequent academic years.

How many hours am I allowed to work each week? The maximum number of hours allowed each week is based upon your total FWS Award, which is divided up so that you will be able to work the entire academic year.

What is my hourly wage? FWS participants earn federal minimum wage (state minimum if higher) for all hours worked. Community service work-study students earn $8.75 per hour. 

How do I record and submit hours that I work? FWS participants are given timecards to record hours worked. At the end of the bi-weekly pay period, your timecards are submitted and you will receive a pay check on the designated pay date.

May I make up hours that I have missed? If you are participating in Internship or Term Abroad and you are not going to work during that term, contact your campus' student employment representative as soon as you are accepted, to have your hours recalculated in order to earn your entire FWS Award.

When am I paid? Students in the FWS Program are paid every other Thursday.

How can I participate in the Off-Campus Community Service Work-Study Program? Students who are given a FWS Award as part of their financial aid package can choose to earn their funds by working in the community. Speak with your campus representative about available sites and opportunities.

Do I need to provide my own transportation to my Off-Campus Community Service Work-Study site? Yes, students are responsible for providing their own transportation. Typically, positions are close to Johnson & Wales University campuses. There is commuting time that should be considered when choosing to participate in the program. Commuting to your site by car or bus will be required should the position not be within walking distance of your residence.

May I use my community service work-study job as my community service learning requirement? No.

Student Assistant Program  

A department has hired me as a student employee. What do I need to do now? You must complete the appropriate student employment program paperwork with the hiring supervisor. Report to your campus' student employment representative, upon being offered employment, to complete employee new hire paperwork. Employee paperwork includes the I-9 form, federal and state tax forms, and equal employment opportunity data sheet.

General Student Employment Questions

When are paychecks issued? Specific payroll information will be provided, upon your completion of your employee paperwork with a student employment representative. Ask your student employment representative about direct deposit.

Do I need to pay taxes on wages earned with the university? Yes. Wages earned by a student are subject to federal and state tax withholdings, although the wages of enrolled students will be exempt from FICA taxes (Social Security and Medicare taxes) if the position is classified as a part time position. Students who have been approved to allow a full time work schedule are not exempt from FICA taxes.

During the summer break, while employed and not enrolled in classes for more than five weeks, student wages, become subject to FICA withholdings. Students who are working in a full time position during the summer will also be subject to FICA withholding. Students who work in a position that is classified as a part time position, and remain enrolled in class, and do have a break of more than 5 weeks, will remain exempt from FICA taxes.

Students attending Johnson & Wales University with F-1 or J-1 Visas are exempt from FICA taxes throughout their entire employment with the University.

May I work more than one job? No. Students are not eligible to participate in two JWU positions simultaneously.

How do I obtain my timecards? Federal Work-Study participants receive their initial timecards upon receiving their Work-Study assignment. Student Assistants and Teaching Assistants receive their initial timecards upon completion of the appropriate employee new hire/rehire forms with your student employment representative. Once in the payroll system, timecards will be mailed to your supervisor.

What if I lose my timecard? Reissued timecards can be requested from your student employment representative. 

When are my timecards due? Timecards are to be submitted for processing on the payroll's established due date which is provided on the pay schedule for the bi-weekly payroll. The due date is also printed on each timecard. Late timecards may cause a delay in payment and may be processed with the next scheduled payroll cycle.

On-Campus Employment for F-1/J-1 Visa Status Students

May I work in an on-campus student employment position? Yes. Students with F-1 or J-1 Visas are allowed work on campus for the University.

How many hours may I work per week? Students attending Johnson & Wales University with F-1 or J-1 Visas are eligible to work up to 20 hours per week while they are currently enrolled in classes, including weeks partially enrolled in class.

May I work full-time during the summer or during school breaks? Yes. Students attending Johnson & Wales University with F-1 or J-1 Visas are permitted to work more than 20 hours per week during the summer or during official school breaks.
However, if you are considering working more than 20 hours per week during the summer you need to speak with their supervisor to determine:

  • the budget of the department in which they are employed is approved for the additional hours
  • there is a work need for the additional hours

If you are unsure of your eligibility to work more than 20 hours per week, please contact International Student Services.

How do I obtain a social security number? The Social Security Administration issues social security numbers. Students attending Johnson & Wales University with F-1 or J-1 Visas may not begin employment until they have been issued a social security number which will be provided to you on a social security card.

The Social Security Administration will not accept an application for new social security number until a student has been given an offer of employment from their campus of attendance. The necessary forms that must be submitted to the Social Security Administration to apply for a social security number will be provided by your campus and representatives. Review the procedures for international applications.

Once you have received your social security number, you will need to provide the number in order to complete the required employee paperwork with your campus' student employment representative.