Internships for International Students

Curricular Practical Training (CPT) allows F-1 students to engage in our internship program, which provides you with practical work experience in your chosen field of study, hourly wages and academic credit for the experience.

CPT is intended to provide F-1 students with required practical experiences that serve as an integral part of the established curriculum, prior to the completion of studies.

To meet the U.S. Department of Homeland Security’s definition of CPT, the practical training must meet one of the following conditions:

  • An established JWU internship program, as outlined in the Course Catalog
  • A required-for-credit internship, as stated in the Course Catalog and required by all students

You must obtain authorization from USCIS and International Student Services before you can participate in an internship.

Students maintaining F-1 status may obtain permission to engage in Curricular Practical Training after completing nine months (three consecutive terms) as a full-time F-1 student, or whenever it is required for the degree program.

Once you find your internship, please follow these steps:

  • Your international student advisor requires a Offer Letter from your placement officer, and an offer letter from your new internship site. This letter must include the following information: name and location of the company, job description, beginning and ending dates of the proposed work experience period and the number of hours/week that you will work.
  • Once your advisor has the required documents, s/he will issue you a new I-20 authorizing the employment.
  • Bring the Offer Letter to Experiential Education & Career Services. If the internship is approved, you will receive an Experiential Education Approval Letter.
  • Bring the Offer Letter, Experiential Education Approval Letter, I-20 and any other necessary documents for work authorization to a Social Security office.
  • Apply for a Social Security Number.
  • You may begin work when you receive your Social Security Number.

Visit Experiential Education & Career Services to start the process of securing an internship.