On-campus Employment 
As a J-1 exchange student, you may work on campus without applying to USCIS for work authorization; however, you must have written authorization from your international student advisor prior to working on-campus. While school is in session, you will only be able to work a maximum of 20 hours/week; during vacation breaks, the maximum jumps to 32 hours/week.

J-1 students who drop below full-time status, or who have otherwise failed to maintain status, must discontinue on-campus employment immediately.

Academic Training
Do not engage in any kind of employment until you are certain that you have proper authorization. If you’d like to participate in an internship upon completion of your academic program, you’ll need permission from your home country school; please indicate your interest on your application.

As a J-1 exchange visitor, you may be authorized to participate in an academic training program that is directly related to your course of study. (The program may be paid or unpaid, for academic credit or for experience only.)

JWU does not guarantee finding positions for all students. You are ultimately responsible for finding a position and getting the training authorized. Failure to get proper authorization could result in a violation of the terms of your J-1 status. The training period must not exceed the time spent in the program of study. If you have any questions, contact program director Katie Gilbertson.

To be considered eligible, you must:

  • Be in good academic standing at JWU.
  • Find an Academic Training experience related to your field of study (listed on the DS2019 form).
  • Have written approval of the job placement from your home country school.
  • Apply, be authorized and start working no later than 30 days after the completion of your studies.
  • Receive written approval prior to the start of your academic training.

Written authorization for all academic training must come from the responsible officer at the International Center. To obtain it, you will need to submit the following documents: 

  1. An original student copy of DS2019 form.
  2. A job offer, written on company letterhead, which includes a job description, beginning and end dates of the proposed employment, and the number of hours per week that you will work. The letter also needs to include the name, address and email of your direct supervisor at the site.
  3. A letter of support from Experiential Education & Career Services indicating how the practical training is directly related to your academic program of study.

If you are working in a paid position, you must apply for a social security number so that you can receive a paycheck and pay the appropriate taxes.