Social Security Number

As an J-1 visa holder, you are not eligible to apply for a Social Security Number (SSN) until you have secured an on-campus job or an academic training position.

Intl Students SS cardTo apply, you must provide the Social Security Administration (SSA) with evidence of age, identity, immigration status and work authorization.

In instances where a Social Security number is asked for, such as applying for a driver’s license, you must go through the application process for an SSN.

First, go to the International Center and fill out the International Student Request Form (159K PDF). Your international student advisor will then provide you with a letter, which must be submitted to the SSA. They will respond with a denial letter that can then be used in place of an SSN.