Employment Authorization Document

In order to secure your Employment Authorization Document (EAD) card, you must complete the following steps.

1. Send everything by registered or certified mail (something with a tracking number) to the designated US Citizenship and Immigration Services (USCIS) service center.

Note: If your mailing address is not in Colorado, your international student advisor will tell you which USCIS Service Center you should mail your documents to.

2. In two to three weeks, you will receive a receipt notice from USCIS. It will have a receipt number on the upper left-hand corner that can be used to check your case status online.

Immigration will then issue an EAD card, which will be sent by mail to the address you indicated on Form I-765. Please notify your international student advisor immediately if you change your address before receiving your EAD card.

You cannot begin employment until you have received the EAD card and the work authorization date on the EAD card has arrived.

3. Once you receive your EAD card, you must provide a copy of it to the International Center.

4. Throughout your period of employment authorization, you must keep your international student advisor informed of the following:

  • Your address in the US
  • Your employer’s name and address in the US
  • Any change in your immigration status in the US
  • A decision to abandon your OPT and depart the US