Glossary of Terms

Continuation of Studies Students moving from one level of education to another must obtain an I-20 for the new degree program within 60 days of their former degree program’s last day of class; they must report to ISS within 15 days of registering for classes in the new program.

DS-2019 Form is used to obtain a J-1 or J-2 visa. It must be kept current at all times; if it needs to be renewed or adjusted due to a change of major, contact ISS.

Duration of Status (D/S), a term which appears on your I-94 card and I-20, refers to the period of time during which you are making progress toward completing a full-time program of study. Failure to complete the course of study at the school that issued your I-20 is a violation of status, unless you obtain a proper transfer to a different educational institution.

Extension of Stay If the completion date on your I-20 is not adequate to finish your degree program, an extension of stay must be filed with ISS before the end date stated on your I-20. You must show proof of financial resources to cover the costs of tuition and living expenses during the remaining period of studies.

F-1/J-1 Visa is the certification issued by the US Consulate or Embassy granting foreign nationals legal permission to present themselves for inspection for admission at a port of entry to the US Immigration officials at any port of entry can deny admission to any foreign national with a valid visa issued by an embassy. In addition to a valid visa, you must always travel with either a valid I-20 or DS-2019 signed by a designated school official (DSO).

FAQ is a common abbreviation that is used in the US. It stands for “Frequently Asked Questions” and refers to a list of commonly asked questions, along with the answers.

I-20 Form is used to obtain an F-1 or F-2 Visa. It must be kept current at all times; if it needs to be renewed or adjusted due to a change of major, you must contact International Student Services (ISS). Before you travel outside the US, USCIS requires that your I-20 must be signed by your International Student Advisor.

An I-901 SEVIS Fee is required of all international and exchange students who come to the US to study. The fee covers a single educational program and extends from the time a student is granted F-1 or J-1 status to either the conclusion of their program, a change in visa status or an extended departure from the US

An I-94 Card is a document that states the duration of your legal status in the US

Social Security Number (SSN) You must have a Social Security card to work in the US Students who are not eligible for an SSN can apply for a Letter of Denial to assist in dealing with companies that may require an SSN in order to receive services. Dependent spouse and children are not eligible for social security numbers.

US Citizenship and Immigration Services (USCIS) is the government agency responsible for enforcing the regulations that apply to foreign nationals within the US.

Violation of Status occurs when a student commits an action that is not permitted by USCIS regulations for nonimmigrant F-1 student visa holders. If you violate your status, your International Student Advisor will meet with you to discuss your options for restoring your status.

Visas are not issued from within the US. If you plan to re-enter the US after your visa has expired, or if your visa status has changed, you will need to obtain a new visa from your home country.