Transfer Common Questions

Who can apply for admission?
Applications are accepted from students transferring from other colleges, and college graduates.

What criteria are needed for admission?
In addition to your completed application, you must also submit official college transcripts from all previously attended colleges. You will be asked to submit high school transcripts and proof of high school completion. If you are currently attending another college, it is your responsibility to have updated transcripts sent to JWU as soon as the final grades become available or within the first term of enrollment.  

What are the criteria for transferring credits?
Credit is usually granted for courses completed with a grade of “C” or better (with a numeric value of 2.00) at another accredited institution (U.S. Department of Education). Grades of “pass” are also acceptable for transfer if credit was awarded (and a grade of “P” has the numeric value of 2.00 or greater). Credits earned in developmental and remedial courses or CEUs are nontransferable. Transfer credit evaluations are based on previous college work as it relates to the student’s intended field of study.

Do you require SAT scores?
SAT scores are not required for general admission. However, they are required for honors admission.

What is the application deadline for admission?
JWU accepts applications on a rolling basis, so there is no deadline to apply. However, you are encouraged to submit your application and applicable high school or college transcripts as early as possible.

What if I am interested in more than one campus?
You only need to apply once; acceptance to the university is valid at any campus, unless otherwise specified for certain majors.

How much does it cost to apply to JWU?
Applying to JWU is free.

How do I apply?
Apply now using our online admissions application or by downloading a PDF undergraduate application (510K PDF) to fill out and return to us by mail.

What happens after I submit my application?
Once your application has been submitted, Admissions will process your application, and an evaluation will be completed by an admissions officer. Admissions will notify you with a decision as soon as your application has been evaluated once all documents have been received. We will contact you if any documents are missing.

How is the school year at JWU structured?
We enroll classes in terms for September, December and March. Students wishing to enroll in majors in business, hospitality or technology (Providence Campus only) can also apply for summer session terms, which begin in June.

When do I need to choose a major?
You should indicate a major on your application for admission in order to receive the appropriate information from JWU. If you would like to change your major prior to enrolling, you should contact Admissions prior to the start of the term.

What type of accreditation does JWU have?
JWU is accredited by the New England Association of Schools and Colleges (NEASC).

What financial information do I need to provide?
If you enter in any term other than September you must submit a financial aid transcript from every school attended beyond high school. Financial aid transcripts must be submitted even if you did not receive aid at the other school(s). Please contact the financial aid office at each school and request that they forward an official financial aid transcript to Student Financial Services.