Adult & Continuing Education FAQ

How long will it take me to obtain my degree? This answer will differ for each individual based on various factors. Transfer credit and prior learning credit will reduce the length of a program. An Adult & Continuing Education student may take anywhere from 1-3 classes per term. Since we offer four terms each year, a student may take up to 12 classes each year. There is also a program for high academic achievers that would allow them to take up to 4 classes per term.

When do classes meet? Most courses in our programs meet one night per week, or Saturday mornings for 3 hours and 45 minutes. Culinary Arts and Baking & Pastry Arts courses meet on weekends. (Please review course schedules with your culinary admissions advisor.)

Can I transfer my credits from other colleges? Yes. JWU offers a liberal transfer credit allowance. CE admissions officers are happy to set up an appointment with you to do the evaluation on the spot, or if you wish to mail us a transcript we will evaluate the transfer credit and send you a copy in the mail.

Do you offer "life experience" or "work experience" credit? Yes. JWU offers what is called "prior learning assessment credit." You may earn credits for the knowledge or skills you've mastered outside the classroom through volunteer work, employment, travel programs, organizations or other comparable sources. This can be earned through portfolio development or with departmental challenge examinations (credit by examination). JWU also accepts CLEP examination credit.

Does Johnson & Wales University assist with employment upon graduation? Yes. Experiential Education & Career Services is available to make sure you're well-prepared for your independent job search and on-campus interviews. There is also an annual career conference that attracts almost 200 leading employers to JWU for on-campus recruiting.

What type of accreditation does Johnson & Wales University have? JWU is accredited by the New England Association of Schools and Colleges (NEASC).

What is considered full-time status? 12 credit hours or more per term.

Do I pay for classes one at a time? JWU charges a base amount of tuition on a per term bases for students taking between 12-21 credit hours. Anything over or under 12 credit hours is charged on a per-credit hour basis.

Can I apply for financial aid even if I receive tuition reimbursement? Yes, we will use the FAFSA to determine your eligibility for financial aid; tuition reimbursement will be taken into consideration.

What scholarships or Pell grants are available for non-traditional students? All students should complete a Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA) to determine their eligibly for any type of financial aid, including Pell grant funds.

What is the difference between subsidized and unsubsidized loans? Subsidized means the federal government will pay the interest on the borrower’s behalf while the borrower is enrolled in school; the federal government does not pay the interest on unsubsidized loans. During that time the borrower can choose to make quarterly interest payments or to capitalize the interest.

If I decide not to apply for financial aid at this time, can I change my mind and apply any time throughout the year? Yes, you can apply for financial aid up until your last date of attendance.

If I am concurrently enrolled at a community college and JWU, how does this affect my funding? You can only receive federal financial aid at one institution at a time.

Should I bother filling out the FAFSA even if I have a high income? All students should complete a FAFSA; not all financial aid awards are based on need.

What if I lost my job recently and last years taxes do not reflect my current financial situation? JWU has set up a Special Circumstances appeal for situations such as this; work with your financial planner to determine if you may be eligible for any additional financial aid due to the change of financial situation.

What if I am eligible for some money, but I have a shortfall and cannot cover the remainder. Are there payment plans or other loans I can take out such as private loans? Your designated financial planner will help you with various payment plans, as well as private loan options.

What if I receive employer assistance but they won’t reimburse until after my grade has posted? We can accept a partial payment of at least 25%. The student can then sign a probation agreement to pay the remaining balance at the beginning of the next term.

Does financial aid cover PLA or CLEP credits? Books? If you have more financial aid than you have charges, you can use your financial aid to pay for books by utilizing our book voucher program. You may also request a refund check the 5th week of each term to use for other educational expenses such as PLA or CLEP.

I’m in the military. Does JWU work with G.I. Bill money? Yellow Ribbon? Post-9-11? Yes, we work with all three. We have two VA-certifying officials on campus that can help you through the process of applying and utilizing these funds. We also work with veterans on vocational rehab.

Should I pay someone to do my FAFSA for me? I found this website that will fill it out for me if I pay them a small fee. The FAFSA is free to apply; if you need help with the application process you are designated a financial planner at JWU.

What happens if I am on financial aid and I need to take a break? You will need to notify your financial planner and we will cancel any future financial aid disbursements you may have been expecting, then when you resume your studies work with your financial planner to determine if you need to reapply for FAFSA and or if we need any additional documents.

What happens when I’m done with school? How long do I have before I will have to start paying back my loans? Upon completion of your degree you must complete an Exit Interview to ensure that you are aware of your rights and responsibilities as a Federal Student Loan borrower. You will then have a 6-month grace period before you have to begin payments.