International FAQ

Is financial aid available? Financial aid is available for students who are US citizens or permanent residents. However, merit-based academic scholarships may be available. Check with your country’s ministry of education and other agencies to learn about additional scholarship opportunities.

What are the application requirements for international students? Applicants who are not US citizens or permanent residents of the US must meet the same admissions requirements as all other applicants, in addition to supplying the following:

  • Certified copy of scores for Test of English as a Foreign Language (TOEFL) of at least 550 (pen/paper) or 80 (Internet-based); International English Language Testing System (IELTS) of at least 6.5, or completion of English Language School (ELS) Level 112. JWU's school TOEFL code is 3465.
  • Declaration of financial support signed by both the applicant and the sponsor
  • Certified bank statement
  • Copy of biographical section of your valid passport

All of the above must be original documents. If the original document is not available, true copies of the original that have been certified by your school are also acceptable. Faxed copies are not considered original documents.

How can I submit my official transcripts? We strongly recommend that official high school and university transcripts (in English as well as your native language) be sent directly from the school or examination board to:

Johnson & Wales University
International Admissions, Yena Center
8 Abbott Park Place
Providence, Rhode Island 02903

Do I need a translation of my transcript? Yes. Every document you submit in your native language must be accompanied by a word-for-word, certified (or official) English translation. The translation should not be interpretive, nor should it try to convert the original grades into US-style grades.

Where can I get an official translation? In some countries, official translations are only issued by the school; in others, official government translators issue official translations. For countries that do not offer translations through a government network, you will need to find a private translation service to issue the translation. We suggest you check with your local Education USA office to see if they offer translations or can refer you to a service.

Will you accept a notary public translation? Documents from a notary public are not considered official. Official transcripts or examinations should be sent directly from the school or examination board.

Can I be accepted to the university without a TOEFL? You can be accepted to the Providence and North Miami campuses without a TOEFL or IELTS score; however, you will be placed in our English as a Second Language (ESL) program prior to your intended major. The Providence and North Miami campuses are the only two JWU campuses that have an ESL program. The ESL program is available to accepted and currently enrolled JWU students. For the Denver and Charlotte campuses, you will need to submit a passing TOEFL score, IELTS score or ELS Level 112.

When is my application complete? Your application is complete when Admissions has received all of the above documents.

What happens after I submit my application? Once we have received all of your materials, we will process and evaluate your application. You will receive an acceptance decision roughly two weeks after all documents have been received by our office. We will contact you if any documents are missing.

How long is my application valid? JWU offers a two-year deferred enrollment to students who have applied and been accepted to the university but, for various reasons, wish to postpone their enrollment. We will retain student application materials and will honor admissions decisions for up to two years. After that time frame, the applicant will need to submit a new application and transcript for review.

Merit scholarships awarded through the application process will be honored for up to two years from the time of initial acceptance. Federal student aid monies are awarded annually; a student may need to reapply for federal funds through the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA).

What is the last date I can apply for a term? International students should complete their application for admissions at least 12 weeks prior to the registration date. Enrollment is limited and applicants should consider filing the admissions documents as early as 9 months prior to the check-in date.

How can I qualify for English as a Second Language (ESL) exemption? To qualify for ESL exemption, applicants whose native language is not English or individuals who did not graduate from an American university must submit a passing TOEFL IBT/IELTS score of at least 80/6.5, or must have completed the English Language School (ELS) Level 112.

When will I receive my acceptance letter and I-20? The acceptance letter and I-20 will be sent by Federal Express once all required documents have been submitted and evaluated.

Will JWU grant an extension on my enrollment date? To ensure that all students are scheduled properly and have access to pre-arrival and arrival services, our staff does not permit extensions. If you cannot arrive by the requested date, we advise that you transfer the next available term. The procedure includes the return of their I-20 and a statement requesting a term transfer. You will need to supply an updated bank statement.

How many credits are required to maintain full-time status? See Student Academic Services for details.

Can I visit the campus before I am accepted? Yes, we offer a variety of visitor events so you can see for yourself what it’s like to live and learn at JWU.

To make an appointment for a campus visit, call Admissions at 980-598-1105. Office hours are Mon-Fri, 8:30am-4:30pm. Special arrangements can be made for early evening appointments.