Benefits for Military Veterans & Dependents

Did you know that JWU has been named a Top Military Friendly School by GI Jobs? We’re proud to be among a select number of colleges and universities that participate in the Yellow Ribbon GI Education Enhancement Program (Yellow Ribbon Program).

The Yellow Ribbon Program allows the federal government to match, dollar for dollar, JWU’s contributions to help you cover expenses above the maximum in-state public college tuition cost. If you qualify with at least 36 months of active duty, the program also provides you with assistance toward fees, housing, books and supplies.

To take advantage of your benefits, you must first determine which educational program you may be eligible for. Consult the Department of Veterans Affairs’ complete list of educational benefits, which include

  • The Post-9/11 GI Bill (Chapter 33)
  • Montgomery GI Bill: Active Duty (MGIB-AD) (Chapter 30)
  • Montgomery GI Bill: Selected Reserve (MGIB-SR) (Chapter 1606)
  • Reserve Educational Assistance Program (REAP) (Chapter 1607)

Those with service-connected disabilities may be eligible for Vocation Rehabilitation & Employment (VR&E) (also known as Chapter 31) benefits. Two programs are available for dependents: Survivors’ and Dependents’ Educational Assistance (Chapter 35) and Post-9/11 Transfer of Education Benefits.

Steps to Enrollment

  1. To determine your eligibility and to start the process, read through the Department of Veterans Affairs’ complete list of educational benefits.
  2. Apply for Your VA Benefits
    For help determining which application you should submit, contact the VA at 888-442-4551. Once you've chosen a program, you can fill out the application(s) online. Contact your VA certifying official if you need a print version.
  3. File the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA)
    JWU’s school code is 003404.
  1. Apply for Admission to JWU
    Fill out our no-fee application for undergraduate or graduate admission. On the application, be sure to answer “yes” to the question, “Are you eligible for veteran benefits?”
  2. Notify JWU of Your Benefit Eligibility
    At least 30 days prior to your first term, notify your financial planner and VA certifying official that you’ll be using your VA educational benefits. You must also provide your certifying official with a copy of your Certificate of Eligibility.
  3. Transcripts and Payment Plan
    Make sure that your official high school and college transcripts have been received by JWU. Meet with your financial planner to make sure that your payment plan is in place.

Extending Benefits or Changing Programs
If you plan to use the same benefits at JWU that you used at your previous college, you must submit a Change of Program or Place of Training Form (VA22-1995). If you elect to convert to the Post-9/11 GI Bill in lieu of your previous benefit program, you need to complete another original application (VA22-1990). Forms can be submitted electronically to the Department of Veterans Affairs.

Payment Process and Verification
Depending on which VA program you qualify for, your benefits may be paid either directly to you or to JWU. After you receive your Certificate of Eligibility and your attendance at JWU is confirmed, your VA certifying official will confirm your enrollment with the VA. 

You may be required to verify your attendance with the VA at the end of each month. (Students receiving benefits under Chapter 35 and 33 are not required to verify attendance each month.) Monthly verification can be completed by phone at 1-877-823-2378 or online through WAVE (Web Automated Verification of Enrollment).

It is your responsibility to inform the VA and JWU of any changes in attendance, your major or program, or your address.

If you have questions about the process, contact one of our VA certifying officials.
Sameth Phin (Chapter 33 only) or Jaime DiPaola (all other programs) in Providence
Sharlene Mitchell in North Miami
 Tillie Fathbruckner(last name A-H)and Kim Macintosh (Last name I-Z) in Denver
Kat Chitow in Charlotte