Special Needs Accommodations

At the Providence Campus, accommodations for students with disabilities ( who provide appropriate documentation) include, but are not limited to: 

  • Audio recorders in class 
  • Classroom relocation
  • Dragon Naturally Speaking
  • Enlarged print
  • Use of a Kurzweil 3000
  • Medically-excused absences
  • Note taking assistance 
  • Oral and/or extended time for tests
  • Preferential scheduling
  • Reduced course load

If you are a JWU applicant or current student with special needs/physical disabilities, call Ann M. Roccio, director, Center for Academic Support, 401-598-4689 to discuss the availability of reasonable accommodations where appropriate.

Some programs of study at the university have technical standards and requirement. Copies of the technical standards applicable to various programs are available at the Center for Academic Support.

If you are requesting services, you must provide the following documentation so the disability can be verified and to aid in educational planning:

  • Neurological report by a psychiatrist, neurologist or other physician, OR
  • Psycho-educational evaluation by a licensed clinician

During the accommodation process, you will be expected to:

  • Participate in the determination and implementation of reasonable accommodations and support services 
  • Inform your special needs advisor when accommodations are not working or need to be changed 
  • Meet with his/her special needs advisor at the beginning of every term to complete the Student Services Agreement, so that accommodations can be put in place for the term 
  • Keep follow-up appointments or call to cancel and reschedule in a timely manner

Your special needs advisor will be expected to:

  • Maintain medical/psychological/educational documentation in a confidential manner 
  • Determine if the condition(s) is a disability in accordance with the law
  • Identify reasonable accommodations and support services and assist with their implementation 
  • Request updated documentation (as needed) to determine if accommodations need to be modified 
  • Refer student to campus/community services (i.e., Learning Center, Student Counseling Center, etc.) to resolve disability-related issues