Latin American Coalition
4938 Central Ave., Suite 101 Charlotte, NC 28205
Web Site www.latinamericancoalition.org
Description The Latin American Coalition is a community of Latin Americans, immigrants, and allies that promotes full and equal participation of all people in the civic, economic, and cultural life of North Carolina through education, celebration, and advocacy.
Site Contact Person Bonnie Carter, Volunteer Coordinator
Email address: firstname.lastname@example.org
Service Opportunities • Cultural Events Support: This position entails many activities related to cultural event programming such as: help with registration and check in table, coordinate food services, set up and clean-up crew, greeters and ushers, children’s activities, back stage support, etc. This position is ideal for individuals who are interested learning about Latin American cultures in a fun environment. LAC’s cultural events include:
CineMás: Latino Film Series, 04/02/2014
Fanta Festival, 05/04/2014
• Naturalization Workshop Support: Volunteers must be bilingual (Spanish/English) to assist potential citizenship applicants with completing paperwork and online forms. All volunteers must attend a training prior to participating in a workshop.
• Storytime Assistant: Volunteer will work jointly with staff to conduct a weekly bilingual storytime called “Conexiones que Cuentan.” Each session is meant to engage Spanish-speaking families in a fun and energetic learning environment while promoting early literacy, and strengthening the connection between parents and their young children.
Main Responsibilities: Assist with room set up and breakdown, register attendees, and assist with children’s activities (reading, playing games, singing, etc).
Available community service days and times
• Cultural Event Support: Restricted to the day of the event.
• Naturalization Workshop: Restricted to the day of the event.
• Storytime Assistant: Fridays, 9:45am-12:15pm
Orientation days and times
Number of student placements available
Bilingual (Spanish/English) preferable but not required.
Committed, organized, dependable, goal oriented, open minded and willing to learn about other cultures.
Driving Directions from Johnson & Wales University, 801 West Trade Street, Charlotte, NC, 28202:
1. Head southeast on W Trade St toward S Cedar St
2. Take the 2nd right onto S Graham St
3. Turn right onto S Mint St
4. Take the 1st left onto W Morehead St
5. Take the I-277 N ramp on the left
6. Keep left at the fork, follow signs for Bobcats Arena and merge onto I-277 N
7. Slight right onto US-74 E (signs for N Carolina 27 E/Independence Expy)
8. Take exit 244 toward Briar Creek Road/Bojangles Coliseum
9. Turn right onto Television Pl
10. Continue onto Briar Creek Rd
11. Turn right onto Central Ave
Destination will be on the right:4938 Central Ave. Suite 101, park in rear of building
Charlotte, NC 28205