Residential Life

Living on campus at JWU gives you the opportunity to experience the best of Providence in a close-knit community. More than half of students live on campus.

Most of our residence halls are centrally located. The Downcity Campus, in the heart of Providence, houses students from all colleges. The Harborside Campus, which overlooks Narragansett Bay, primarily houses Culinary Arts students.

Our residence halls offer traditional rooms, suites and apartment community living. Whether you’re looking for a single or a suite, a social whirlwind or a close-knit atmosphere, there’s a hall to meet your needs.

On behalf of the entire Residential Life family, it is my absolute pleasure to welcome you to your new home at JWU. Whether this is your first year or you are a returning resident, I am happy you’ve chosen to stay with us. My team and I look forward to assisting you. Nev Kraguljevic, director of Residential Life
Meet the Residential Life Staff

Director of Residential Life Nev Kraguljevic provides direction and oversight to universitywide Residential Life staff ensuring that department efforts align with university goals.

Associate Director of Residential Education Becky Budynkiewicz is in charge of the recruitment and training of student teams and leads initiatives for the residence halls to maintain a safe, educational, engaging, and welcoming environment for students.

Associate Director of Housing Operations Andrea Mantilla directs and oversees Housing Operation staff, including student placements, system management and facilities.

Assistant Director of Student Housing Placement Marina Casto oversees the placement, selection, and relocation process, and maintains housing system.

Area Coordinators & Residence Directors
Area Coordinators and Residence Directors are live-in professional staff responsible for creating a safe, supportive, living-learning environment for residential students through supervision of the hall’s residence life team members and serving as first-level professional support for various student housing issues (roommate conflict, facilities-related concerns, etc.).

Area Coordinator for Harborside Village: Lauren Anderson
Area Coordinator for Snowden and Harborview: Nanetshka Vargas-Fernandez
Residence Director for McNulty Hall: AnneMarie Boyle
Residence Director for HUB (South, East & West halls): Jaya LaPrade

New and Prospective Student FAQs

Can I change my room assignment now?
We do not offer room changes prior to arrival to campus.

Can I change my room after I arrive?
Room changes are done in week 3 of every semester. You can submit for a room change at that time.

After I arrive, can I just switch rooms with another person if they want to move, too?
Yes you can, as long as you do it during the room change process that starts in week 3 and you inform your Area Coordinator about the change. 

Can I move in early?
We typically offer up to 2 day early move in, however any soonner than that we are unable to offer.

I am in a triple, but there are only 2 people assigned to my room. Does that mean I will have extra space in my room?
If you have an empty space in your room, please keep it available for a new roommate to move in. This includes leaving the extra bed, closet, dresser and desk free of personal items and ready for a new occupant.

Can I ship my belongings ahead of time?
The residence halls are not able to receive mail or packages until students arrive. If mail/packages are sent ahead of time they will be returned. Please plan for any and all shipments to arrive after you have moved into the residence hall.

How do I get a microfridge for my room?
A microfridge will be in your room when you arrive.*  If you and your roommates have not made payment arrangements with the Microfridge Company to keep the Microfridge within the first 2 weeks of class, the company will remove it from your room at that time. To obtain pricing information and make rental arrangements, please contact College Refrigerators at 1-800-525-7307.

*Microfridges are located only in traditional halls. Renaissance Hall suites have full-sized kitchens; therefore, microfridges are prohibited.

What should I bring with me?
See our recommended packing list at jwuLink > Student Life > On-Campus Housing.

What’s in my room?
The university provides each resident with a twin extra-long bed and mattress, a desk and chair, dresser, and an armoire or a closet space.

What’s in my hall?
Each hall conveniently provides areas for student use such as study rooms, TV lounges, game rooms, and laundry rooms. Each hall also features a printing station for residents to utilize to print materials for their course work.

Where can I do laundry?
Laundry facilities are located in each residence hall. The cost is $1.25 to wash and $1.25 dry. Washing machines and dryers are paid for through use of a laundry card, to which students add monetary value. Cards are swiped into the laundry machines and the cost is automatically deducted. New JWU students receive laundry cards when they move in. Students can activate their laundry card at a machine located in all residence halls. Students can add money to their card online or use cash at one of the halls mentioned above to add value. Money on the card does not expire.

What does my meal plan include?
On-campus residents have the ability to choose from a range of meal plan options. First-year students can choose between 14 meals or 18 meals per week. Transfer students in traditional housing (no kitchen in their room) can choose from 10, 14 or 18 meals per week. Students in apartment-style housing (kitchen in their unit) are not required to have a meal plan. Each plan also offers “flex dollars” which can be used instead of a full meal swipe at any dining location to make small purchases (e.g. a beverage at Starbucks).

Is there a nurse or doctor on campus?
There are two Health Services offices, serving both resident and commuter students. There is no charge for treatment, and many medications are dispensed free of charge. Students may use either Health Services facility, and when necessary, transportation to one office or the other may be arranged for a student by Health Services staff. The Downcity Health Services Office (401-598-1104) is located in the Wales Hall. The Harborside Health Services Office (401-598-1151) is on the first floor of the Student Services Complex.

In the event of a medical emergency, dial (9) 911 first for emergency assistance; then contact Campus Safety & Security at 401-598-1103. For more info, contact Health Services, or see your hall team member.

Is there transportation on campus?
Yes. Your valid JWU ID allows you to use all JWU shuttles and buses at no cost to you. The university offers discounted access to RIPTA for qualified students — visit or call 401-781-9400 for schedules. JWU bus schedules will be available at the front desk of your residence hall when you arrive. For more info, contact Student Transportation Services.

Can I park on campus?
Parking permits for day school students are handled solely by Campus Safety & Security. All students must have a university-issued parking permit to park on campus. Parking permits can be purchased on a yearly or term basis. For more information about parking on campus, contact Campus Safety & Security.

Can I have pets?
The following residence halls are pet and animal friendly (PAF) communities:

  • Harborside Village Building F
  • Snowden Hall, 1st floor
  • Harbor View, ground floor

Students in PAF communities are permitted to have one pet only. (That means one pet per person in a room. If you have roommates, there may be multiple pets in the room.) JWU PAF Communities permit a student to have an animal in the following categories:

  • Dogs over the age of 1 year old and no larger than 40lbs fully grown (non-aggressive and state/city approved breeds)
  • Cats over the age of 1 year old
  • Small caged mammals (e.g. hamster)
  • Turtles, lizards or fish that can comfortably live in a 5-gallon tank or smaller
  • Animals that are not permitted include, but are not limited to: wildlife; poisonous or endangered species; snakes; farm, lab, or production animals; or animals that have to be fed a live animal for survival.

In addition, freshwater fish (no turtles or frogs) in 5-gallon tanks or smaller are allowed in all residence halls.

All pets and animals must be pre-approved by Residential Life prior to the animal arriving to the campus.

Note: A student does not have to have a pet in order to live in a pet and animal friendly community. For example, a student may want to live with a roommate who has a pet.

Parent and Family FAQs

How are residence halls secured?
All residence halls require card access to enter the hall. (Students use their ID card to gain access to their respective residence hall.) With the exception of the Harborside Village apartments, the front desk of every hall is manned by a university staff member 24 hours a day, 7 days a week.

How do I send mail/a package to my student?
Hall addresses can be found on our Living on Campus site.

Can I ship items ahead for my student?
We do not staff the residence halls until students arrive, so mail will not be accepted prior to move-in weekend. If packages or mail are sent ahead of time, they will be returned. Please plan for any and all shipments to arrive after your student has moved into a residence hall.

How can my student select housing for the next academic year?
Learn more about how housing selection works. 

How can I become involved on campus?
Join our email list. You can also volunteer through JWU’s Parent & Family Advisory Board.